Pages

Sunday, July 8, 2012

OCD and Me




As you can probably tell from the description of this blog, I'm a little OCD.  It isn't at Monk level, but it isn't your garden variety "did I turn the oven off?" either.  On good days I can ignore it and get on with everyday business, but on bad days...  well, let's just say I don't like bad days.

Writing every day is a goal that sounds really reasonable.  At some point you sit down, open the word processor and start tapping away.  The problem is that some days it doesn't happen like that, and when it doesn't my OCD starts to freak out.  For the record, my OCD sounds like a Jewish fishwife. (No offense to Jewish fishwives, it's just unusual to hear that kind of thing in the middle of landlocked Indiana.)  It starts out small, "You didn't write."  Then it progresses, "I know you probably meant to. You probably didn't realize how you were messing everything up when you didn't do what you were supposed to do." And then it goes into full wail mode, "But it all boils down to you didn't do what you were supposed to do and now *I* have to suffer for it!"

The hardest part is that it's usually the OCD that keeps me from getting to other things I'm supposed to do.  Do you have any idea how many times you can refresh an Amazon KDP page to see if you've sold anything in a day?  I do.  While I may have broken a land speed record for mouse clicking, I didn't manage to get the laundry done, or the floor swept, or my daughter's curtains made, or my minimum five hundred words written.  

So, my goal tonight is to get my blog post written and to NOT beat myself up over the things that didn't get done today. Hopefully that will satisfy the fishwife and I can get back to more enjoyable things.

1 comment:

  1. My OCD sounds like Terry Pratchett's Nac Mac Feegles. It moans "waily waily" in a heavy Scots accent.

    ReplyDelete