Pages

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Sometimes You Just Have to Say Screw It!

My first indie pubbed short story went live on July first.  I had NO idea what I was doing. (Honestly, some might say I still don't. LOL.)  I knew, though, that if I waited until I satisfied all the little nit-picky obsessions floating around in my head I'd never do it.

I call it Paralysis of Perfection.

Perfect is a terrible word.  When Martha Stewart looks at a cupcake and then at the camera, smiles and says, "Perfect.  It's a good thing." she's screwing each and every one of us.  Why, do you say?  What's so bad about being perfect?  It's bad because it isn't real.  Perfect is an illusion and the implication that it's real can really mess you up if you let it.

This isn't a Christian post about how we're all flawed copies of a perfect God. No.  I'm not qualified for something like that.  This is about math, and particle physics, and biology, and all those messy things that make up the REAL WORLD.  In real world terms there is no such thing as perfection.  If you've ever been in a class where you work with theoretical mathematics you know that once you apply it to real world functions you have to add that +/- X% factor of error because no matter how perfectly it works on paper--real world applications are a totally different animal.

So, Martha waves this cupcake around and says "Perfect." and everyone listening hears, "Perfection is achievable."  Because, if HER cupcake is perfect, well then by damn, MY cupcake should be perfect, too!  *I* want to be a "good thing."  *I* want to fulfill the societal stereo-type of feminine/masculine perfection.  I want ALL THE PERFECT THINGS.  (<--see that? I stole that.  It's a meme.  You can find the original at hyperboleandahalf.com) But, since there is no real perfect in the world I, by definition, can't have perfect things.  Thus, I am less than perfect.  I am imperfect.  I am flawed.  I am not a "good thing."  I am a "bad thing."

You see where this is going?

So, in a Asperger's fueled rebuttal of "perfect" I went out on a limb and indie pubbed another short story.  It isn't perfect. :)  It IS however a really, REALLY hot piece of erotica.  It's about three (yes, three) imperfect people who still manage to experience a really good thing.

It's called Screw Single and it's live all over the place.  Because sometimes you just have to say...  screw it!


No comments:

Post a Comment