Pages

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Where You Need to Be


Douglas Adams once said, "I seldom end up where I wanted to go, but almost always end up where I needed to be."

I don't believe in coincidence.  Everything that happens--from the instinct that tells you to take a different route to work, to the song on the radio that makes you remember an old friend--guides us to places, to jumping off points, where we are supposed to be.

This blog is one of those places.

When I was eight I wrote an article for a magazine called Literary Cavalcade.  I don't even remember what it was about, just that I was SO excited that I was in a real magazine.  High school brought a string of acceptances and rejections from other magazines--Redbook and Reader's Digest and American Poet--but I wasn't writing as often, or enjoying it as much.  Writing was turning into work, and that, my friends, was a damn shame.

College was the worst.  Every day I crammed more of other people's ideas into my head to the detriment of my own. My voice became fainter.  The "Girls in the Basement" stopped talking to me because I stopped listening.  And then, one day, I discovered fan fiction.

Now this isn't another 50 Shades of Grey story.  My foray into fanfic was years ago, and except for the fact that I discovered a love of writing really steamy sex scenes it has very little to do with what I'm writing now. I used it like the shallow end of a swimming pool, wading back into writing a little at a time, until the shock of the transition wore off. It gave me the confidence I needed to sit down and write again, and after a while I gave up the safety net of using someone else's characters.

If you'd asked me five years ago if I'd ever blog I'd have laughed in your face. I was married.  I had kids.  Who had time to blog?  If you'd asked if I'd ever self-publish--especially erotica--I'd have raised my eyebrows so high I'd have herniated myself.  And yet... here I am. Making Mina: The Best Revenge is out, indie-style on Amazon (with a sequel in the wings!), and I'm tackling the blogosphere.  It isn't necessarily where I wanted to go, but it is definitely where I needed to be.

So, I hope you'll come along with me as I dive into the deep end.  Remember--you're here because you need to be.  Hopefully you'll enjoy it.




No comments:

Post a Comment